• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How will this work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

leilani21

What is the name of your state? california
I have been married since 1998. My husband bought the house in 1986. The house was $80,000. He put $20,000 down. He refinanced in 1994 to buy a car. I moved in the house in 1995 and we married in 1998. At that time the house was worth about $195,000. We refinanced in 2001 for another car. So now we owe $77,000. The house is appraised for around $350,000 now. I have been contributing to this house since I moved in, but didn't get married until 1998. Also, he didn't put my name on the deed until we refinanced in 2001. Does this make a difference. We have 2 children, and we are getting divorced. I also found out that when we bought the car in 2001, he put it in his name only. That was his way of having more control. His mother says that I should be the one to move out with the kids, and that I'm not entitled to anything having to do with the house. Is this true? I live in California. It's a community property state. I know I need to get an attorney, but I'm saving my money for that now. We are currently living in the same house. Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

leilani21 said:
What is the name of your state? california
I have been married since 1998. My husband bought the house in 1986. The house was $80,000. He put $20,000 down. He refinanced in 1994 to buy a car. I moved in the house in 1995 and we married in 1998. At that time the house was worth about $195,000. We refinanced in 2001 for another car. So now we owe $77,000. The house is appraised for around $350,000 now. I have been contributing to this house since I moved in, but didn't get married until 1998. Also, he didn't put my name on the deed until we refinanced in 2001. Does this make a difference. We have 2 children, and we are getting divorced. I also found out that when we bought the car in 2001, he put it in his name only. That was his way of having more control. His mother says that I should be the one to move out with the kids, and that I'm not entitled to anything having to do with the house. Is this true? I live in California. It's a community property state. I know I need to get an attorney, but I'm saving my money for that now. We are currently living in the same house. Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks!!!

My response:

You have about 10 different issues, all intertwining with each other. Suffice it to say, I do not want to spend the next 4 hours writing a "Memorandum" with the various code sections and case law that affect your situation.

Therefore, it would be in your best interests to see a local Family law attorney for a free initial consultation and to briefly go over all the various financial permutations that you have.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

vrzirn

His mother is not the judge.
Start collecting all the bank statements and cancelled checks you can find. Ask the bank to get the old ones from their archives. If you tell them it is for an IRS audit they may not charge you or charge very little. This will take time so begin now!
Get copies of all your old tax returns.
Good luck.

L

leilani21

does anyone have an estimated idea on what he would have to pay me off, since i contributed to the house also? I will be the one to leave, but I don't feel like I should leave with nothing. All my money that I worked for went into this house also. It's not fair. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">