• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099R distribution codes and disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pooh1965

What is the name of your state? AZ ... I have a question regarding 1099-R forms that show a distribution code of " 1 " .
The company sent me a total of three 1099R forms, all with the distribution code "1", however, I had been terminated from this employer due to not being able to return as I became total and permantely disabled. I believe the codes should be "3" (disability). When doing my taxes, when it asks on the 1040 form, should I input what the company put down (1 early withdraw) , or should I go ahead and put a "3 disability" (since this is the reason for the withdrawls, of which the company was aware of the disability leave) ?. The difference between "code 1 and 3" varies greatly regarding my refund amount. The distributions were due to being on short term disability and ssdi. Thank you for any suggestions....

abezon

Input the 1099R as code 1, then file a Form 5329 and claim an exception to the penalty using exception code 03, Distribution made due to disability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">