• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bjinaz

What is the name of your state? Im currently living in Arizona.
My question is:
I just received a letter from the State of California & they are claming that I owe over $3,000 in back taxes. I have not lived or worked in Calif since 1982 nor have I ever received any other correspondence from them in all these years. I was not aware that I owed this. My question is am I liable for these taxes after all these years, is there not a statute of limitations?

Last edited:

B

bjinaz

Since im not getting much help here maybe a little more info would help. Tax returns were filed for the two years 1981 & 1982 that they say I owe for. I had an accountant at the time that was supposed to have sent the pmt checks in & apparently she didn't, but I wasn't notified by the State of Ca that it was never paid. I have a feeling this is a ploy by them in a desperate attempt to gain revenue.

abezon

Contact the accountant who did the returns, or a CA tax attorney. They will be able to help you with the state-specific issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">