• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lucy2003

What is the name of your state? MN

My husband and I are getting a divorce but we are still married for the year of 2002. He wants to file taxes separatly cause he will pay less that way. But he also is using all of the deductions from the house we own together. If he itemizes his taxes that forces me to itemize and I can't use the standard married filing separatly deduction. All I have is the deductions from my employment. How can he use all the deductions from the house and stick me with nothing. By doing this I have to pay 900.00 more than him cause he filed this way. What can I do?

C

cyana

Easy... file first and take half the deductions associated with your house. If you have an escrow account holding property and school taxes take half those too. If you have a copy of your mortgage 1098 it'll provide these figures. If you don't have a copy, check if the mortgage co. has a website and get the info there.

L

Lucy2003

He already filed, He is the one living in the home right now.

C

cyana

Yuck ...

Possibly you make up the difference in your property settlement in some way assuming you haven't had it yet by having him take more marital debt or you receiving more $$$. That's all I can think of - maybe someone else will have another strategy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">