• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

granparents rights for adopted son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JacqnJim

What is the name of your state?
Indiana
My ex husband has terminated his rights to our son and my husband has adopted him, which is a wonderful situation. My ex mother-in-law does not come pick my son up with any regularity and does not call to say she is/is not coming. Several months may go by before she comes to pick him up. When he does visit with them, he comes home and tells me that he has seen his biological father and he tells my son he is still his dad. Also, they talk bad about my husband and me to my son. I have addressed these issues in a letter to her, but they keep happening. Do grandparents have rights when the child is no longer their son's? How do I get this resolved?

Seanscott

You have absolutely no obligation to discuss anything with these people - let alone give them any visitation.

When the father's right were terminated, he became a legal stranger to the child. I have as much right as he does to visitation.

It's really quite simple - If he's not the father, she's not the grandmother.

Tell the whole bunch of them to stay out of your lives or you will see them in court. They have ZERO rights. ZERO!!

J

JacqnJim

grandparents rights for adopted son

You have no idea how relieved I am to hear that! Thank you so very much! I am now faced with the dilemma of how to tell her this! But, I will figure that out, I guess! Thank you again!!!

Seanscott

We recently completed our own stepparent adoption in Indiana.

If the biological father, or any of his white trash family came over to our house to visit - well, I guess I'd throw a fit. I sure wouldn't invite them in, that's for sure.

When his parental rights were terminated, he lost EVERY right to the child. His family lost any rights, also.

You might think about asking your lawyer to send them a letter explaining that they are not welcome on your property, and threatening them with a restraining order if they ever approach your son in any manner (including telephone, mail or email).

An adoption is stressful enough while it is in progress. The stress shouldn't continue after it's completed.

Wishing you all the best.

J

JacqnJim

grandparents rights for adopted son

I am so grateful for all you have said! It really is a relief and I believe I will start by sending her a copy of your response to my question! If she would like to go further with this, then SHE can pay to take me to court! I love this website!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">