• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foreign property division

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Linda G

California
My concern is division of properties. We have properties in both Queenstown, NZ and SD that are both paid for.
I am living in the SD home and he wants me to give him 50% of the current appraised value of this house right now and then wait until the NZ is actually sold to see what the net is after the exchange rate. Then he figures I will most likely owe him MORE after it is actually sold because the exchange rate cannot be determined yet.
Right now the SD is probably worth about 500-600 in value and the NZ right now is about 600-700. I have not received an SD appraisal yet.
If the NZ gets sold much later will it be better for me to wait BEFORE I commit to an SD price and THEN get the appraisal of the SD home at that time in case the SD market goes down since he wants me to wait to see what the actual net is from NZ?
Or do I HAVE to get the SD appraisal right now and then THAT price will be locked in to either buy him out or to do a trade at a later date?
What are my choices?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">