• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil Restitution for readmittance to bar

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JohnnyDepp

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

In order to be readmitted to my state bar I am being required to pay into a restitution fund, can I deduct that as a 162 expense? or 165 loss

abezon

Check out Pub 535. You may only deduct expenses that are "ordinary & necessary" to your business. Ordinary = common & accepted. Necessary = helpful in your business.

The Internal Revenue Code says in sec. 162(f) Fines and penalties -- "No deduction shall be allowed under subsection (a) for any fine or similar penalty paid to a government for the violation of any law." However, the IRS publications say you cannot deduct "penalties & fines you pay to governmental agency or instrumentality because you broke the law." IF the IRS believes the bar ass'n is a gov't instrumentality, then you'd have to argue that the IRS position violates the IRC. You'll need to read the state law creating the bar association to see if it is a government instrumentality or an independent private body.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">