• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing without a lawyer....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

IcyBlueRose

(From Missouri)

I ordered templates (for my state) to do a divorce myself. My husband and I agreed to everything, and every page was signed by us and notarized. I went to file, however, and I was told that I could file the papers if I wanted to, but the judge in our county (we only have one, it's a small town) won't hear a divorce case without at least one person having a lawyer.

There is one child involved, but we've been seperated for almost 2 years now--everything has been well worked out. We've done the entire divorce strictly by the guidlines given to us--even the child support. I can't afford a lawyer--it's taken me this long to be able to afford to do this myself, and if I have to wait for my husband to do it I'll be married forever. The other problem is I have a baby on the way, due in 3 months, and both my partner and I would really like for me to be divorced before the child comes.

Is there anything that can be done? I was wondering if I was allowed to file in another county even if I don't live there. Any advice or suggestions would be extremely helpful.

M

MaggieK

If there is no statute stipulating "one or both parties must hire an attorney in order to obtain a Missouri divorce", I would question the reasoning of the judge. It never ceases to amaze me how some judges are more concerned about lining the pockets of their peers than doing whats right. Unless your case is difficult, or the best interest of the children are at stake, or you have some dispute, there is no reason to hire an attorney. Even considering these issue, mediation would solve the problem. If whoever gave you that information is willing to put it in writing I would get it and turn it over to a judicial review board. You can represent yourself in a murder trial....why wouldnt you be able to do your own divorce? If it was a lowly court clerk who gave you this info...I would ignore it and proceed to make inquiries as to a hearing date..and I would call every single day. Or you can ask the clerk to schedule you for an ex parte hearing with the judge and ask him or her yourself..whats up here? Fight the fight...its your right. Good luck! Not legal advice..just life advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">