• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Med & Mental records Sealed or not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bubbasgirl

What is the name of your state? IL
I have a close friend who is trying to adopt a family member.
They have had the child for almost 4 years now. Child was placed with them by Social Services. IN all that time no one asked about
any mental problems or treatment for such.
Wife had no idea at the time, but her hubby had a nervous break down when he was 16. Due to all the bullieing he took in school. He was in treatment less then 2 weeks.
He is now 40 something and has never had any other trouble with anything.

My question is are those files sealed? Or do they need to worry when they go to court. I mean is there anyway they could have thosen records. Hubby was in another state at the time. Thanks for any help!

nextwife

Goodness. I sought therapy after some heartbreaking pregnancy losses, and my DH was sought therapy after his first wife took his kids away from him and denied access. I know many adoptive parents who have sought therapy prior to adopting. I have an adoptive friend whose teen daughter died in a skiing accident (they adopted internationally some years later). They, too, sought therapy. I'm not specifically familiar with your state, but it sure did not exclude us from adopting, not the families I know of.

WE also did playtherapy with our five year old to help with some preverbal orphanage traumas that had caused her great difficulties.

I would sure hope that treatment, alone, by a mental health professional would not imply parental unsuitability.

Best wishes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">