• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change of circumstance/divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

barbtn

What is the name of your state?
TENNESSEE
I have filed divorce papers and court date is 4/7/03. In the divorce papers I agreed to pay 1/2 of the mortgage on the marital home as my husband runs his business from the home and I wanted to help him meet expenses, without my help he would have lost his business and so far this has been an agreeable divorce. . I do, of course, remain 1/2 owner of the property. However, he has recently been approved for Soc. Sec. Disability, received a check for $28,000.00 in back soc. sec. disability pay and will, starting in April of this year be receiving a check monthly for $1433.00. I want to rescind my agreement to pay 1/2 of the mortgage and ask him to buy me out for a lump pmt of $14,000.00. I need to know if I can pull back the divorce papers and delay the hearing and if he does not agree to the buyout offer I make, what are my options legally. I am having a very hard time taking care of my own expenses and helping him too. Also, Since we are still married, am I entitled to 1/2 of that $28,000.00 check anyway? If he doesn't agree to the buy-out I want to be able to let him know that by law 1/2 of any aquired funds are mine due to "community property" (?????) laws, if they do apply in Tennessee. Please advise me. I am going to approach him this weekend. Note: I filed the divorce papers myself because I couldn't afford an attorney...I can barely afford to eat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">