• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lost 1099

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

horndude

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Lost a bunch of previous 1099's,called IRS and they located all but one year,1998.They sent me in the mail the printout of the other years in question so I can file back tax returns.Anyway,they dont have "online record" of that year,and representative was unable to suggest what to do at that point.Asked him if I filed a form 4506 I think it is....abstract request,if they would be able to locate it,his answer was dont know,but prob not !!! Also they werent showing a couple other years that I do already have 1099's for....so whats the deal,Im filing everything I have ASAP,but what about 1998?I cant believe I will escape from having 1998,they keep written records of this stuff somewhere dont they and how long to get my hands on it?And how do I proceed now?.....this throws a big prob in my plans/probs.

abezon

You have to report the income whether you received a 1099 or not. Just add it to your return in the appropriate place. You can also contact the payors & ask for duplicates.

H

horndude

Past employer doesnt have it,I dont have it,and IRS cant tell me if they have it or can find it.....so far anyway.I know approximately what I made that year,but it may be off by a few hundred $$ or more.So what do I do,write em a letter,file an "approximate" return and hope for the best?

abezon

File the return, but don't add a letter saying your figures aren't accurate. You might just as well send in a request that they send their nastiest auditor to your house.......

H

horndude

Ok,well filing it w/o a copy of the 1099 that goes with it will inevitably generate an automatic letter from IRS requesting it correct?Then what.....this one thing and a total current bill of my account is standing tween me and a chapter 13,heck I dont even need the total bill,just assurance that if I file something for 98,correct info or not,its not gonna come and screw things up.Bankruptcy attorney will undoubtedly have problems with this thing I would think.What exactly does the IRS do in cases like this?

abezon

You don't submit 1099s with a return unless they show that the payor withheld money for taxes. It's up to the IRS to prove that the return you submit is incorrect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">