• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-Parent Adoptioon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jeffbam

What is the name of your state? California

My daughter age 17 would like my husband to adopt her. Her Bio-dad has not paid child support for 12 years, contact with her has been none for past 4 years. Probation officer, that we had to see to see if Husband was fit to adopt daughter, says we need to term bio-dad's parental rights, All paper work in order except this one huge piece. How can we do this on our own without an attorney? :confused: She will be 18 in 2 months should we wait? Will we need to term his rights after she is 18? This is something that daughter is asking my husband to do.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

jeffbam said:
What is the name of your state? California

My daughter age 17 would like my husband to adopt her. Her Bio-dad has not paid child support for 12 years, contact with her has been none for past 4 years. Probation officer, that we had to see to see if Husband was fit to adopt daughter, says we need to term bio-dad's parental rights, All paper work in order except this one huge piece. How can we do this on our own without an attorney? :confused: She will be 18 in 2 months should we wait? Will we need to term his rights after she is 18? This is something that daughter is asking my husband to do.

My response:

Why are you doing this the hard way? Since she's going to be an adult in 2 months, all she needs to do at that time is file her Petition for "Name Change." The name change will take about 2-4 months, and voila - - she'll bear his name. Then, your husband needs to name her in his Will (as you should also), and she will then be entitled to take from his Estate.

Simple, easy, quick and very, very inexpensive.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">