• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice ASAP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mom in awe

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My 16 year old daughter was arrested Friday nite. The report reads: She unlawfully, wilfuly and knowingly while operating a motor vehicle posses on her person an amount of marijuana in excess of (1) gram but not less than 1 ounce at a field **** in the city limits.

Down further it reads: The juvenile is charged with Possession of marijuana in a motor vehicle 41-29-139 (C) (2)

According to the police my daughter and 3 of her friends were smoking dope in a field the police frequently patrol. The only ones that were charged were my daughter and a friend who claimed the marijuana cigarette. The marijuana cigarette was found in a cigarette pack that was lying in the front seat.
She says she was handcuffed but was not read any rights. They were all taken to the police station and 2 of the friends were free to go.

My daughter has never been in trouble with the law. I strongly believe that all laws should be strictly enforced. I don't want the judge to do her any favors because I don't want to go thru this again!

My questions are:
1. Do we need an attorney?
2. What will most likely be the outcome if I do not appoint an attorney?

Your input is greatly welcomed!

JETX

"Do we need an attorney?"
*** If you want to protect her rights and to try to minimize the impact of this on her life, yes.

"What will most likely be the outcome if I do not appoint an attorney?"
*** She will be charged, and likely convicted, of all charges against her, to the maximum penalty provided.

H

hmmbrdzz

Just an addition to Jetx -- this site below (which I do not support or promote its reform laws), DOES give a state by state index for penalties for marijuana possession. Click on the state Mississippi for an idea of what your daughter might face.

http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4516

hmmbrdzz

M

Mom in awe

Thanks for all of your responses. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">