• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State Tax Collection From 1982?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jocatch

What is the name of your state? NY

My wife just received a letter from the State of CA stating that she owes $5000 for the year 1982. They say she owes $600 tax and $4400 in interest and penalties. She was only in CA one year, 1982, and did not know that there was a state tax to file. She moved back to NY in 1983.

Now 21 years later my wife, who has a new name because she married me 14 years ago :cool:, has gotten this letter address to her old madden name. The letter goes on to state that she may qualify for wavier of penalties and interests. It doesn't say for sure.

Questions I have:
1. is there a CA state tax?
2. can they collect from 20 years ago?
3. is there some amnesty right now being granted by the state of CA?
4. does this letter sound real?
5. what should we do?

Joe

abezon

1. Yes
2-5. Call a tax attorney in California who specializes in dealing with the state Franchise Tax Board. That FTB is horrid buncha thugs & you don't want to attempt to negotiate with them yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">