• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal seperation becoming divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shereese

What is the name of your state? ohio
i have been legally seperated for over a year. i am tired of being married and would like to become divorced as soon as possible. can i divorce without the other party? or is there a point where the state considers the seperation a divorce?

Legal separation to divorce

Unfortunately, if you want a divorce, you have to file for one, and get your husband served with the papers. A legal separation does everything a divorce does, except end the marriage. Once you have got him served, I suppose you could submit your earlier judgment entry to the court to cut down on the paperwork, but that assumes all of the circumstances as to property and support have not changed in a year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">