• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

state form and claiming children

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pooh1965

What is the name of your state? AZ ... I live in AZ with my children, my childrens father resides in NV. He claimed the children as dependants on federal tax refund, I claimed them only as qualifying children for head of household. NV has no state tax refund forms to fill out. AZ does. Can I now claim the children as dependants on the state form, since he doesnt have a state form to fill out, or since he claimed them as dependants on the federal form, would I not be able to claim them as dependants on the state form? thanks

abezon

Most states have you start with the federal form. If AZ does that, you can't claim the kids. Also, many states make you submit a copy of your federal return with the state return. You'll have to judge if you are likely to get caught claiming the kids on the AZ return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">