• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can she still use married name after divorce ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

impalass

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

My husbands EX wife still uses her married name everywhere .. can she be doing that ? Am I correct in assuming that because they are divorced my husband is not responsible for any new debts she aquires even if she is using her married name still ?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

impalass said:
What is the name of your state? TEXAS

My husbands EX wife still uses her married name everywhere .. can she be doing that ? Am I correct in assuming that because they are divorced my husband is not responsible for any new debts she aquires even if she is using her married name still ?

My response:

Yes, she can still use her married name. Why? Because at the time of her marriage, just like in your marriage, her name was legally changed. There is no law to force her to change her name to something else if she doesn't want to.

Your husband hasn't been responsible for her debts since the date that the judge signed and entered the Decree of Dissolution. Any debts that she incurs on her own after that date are hers, and hers alone.

IAAL

ktarra617

IAAL is right, not that he needs me to tell him that, but not only can she continue to use that name, if she were to have any children in the future without marrying the father, those children will likely carry the name of her former husband.

My hubby's ex has retained her married name, she says so that she and their daughter would have the same name, whatever.

Now she is pregnant and has not married the father and is apparently in no hurry to get married and we are hearing that she will give the child her last name which is my husband's last name. So that her children will all have the same last name. It's her name now too and not a thing he can do about it.

but in reality they are divorced, dont worry about what she's doing. Especially if they don't have any children, consider yourself extremely lucky, be done with it and move on with your life. There are more important things to worry about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">