• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gift and estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mugsersgr8

my mother is starting to show signs of alzheimers. my sister, brother and mother decided to move a substantial amount of money (over 10000) each into my sister brother and my name. My brother is trying to tell me that the IRS will not say anything as long as we claim the interest on our income tax. I do not agree and am wondering how to deal with this. I do not want the money as a gift and would prefer this in an account that was pod to me and still in my mom's name. i also worry about next week when she starts to wonder what happened to this money that disappeared out of her account.

D

depeche

1. Does your mon have a taxable estate (over $675,000)? If not, then why gift...it's probably not necessary.

2. If she does, then it is a good idea to gift, and if your mom cant personally do it, one of you should get (if you dont already) a power of attorney that includes the power to gift.

3. She is perfectly free to gift up to $10,000 per person per year w/o any problem with the IRS. You certainly do not need to put this on your income tax return!

M

mugsersgr8

what about if it is 30000. that is what was given to each of us and who is responsible for the gift tax. the donor or the receiver?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">