• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets the house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

inajam

My friend has lived with his elderly parents for the past 13 years. He is 48 years old. His mother passed away 2 years ago and his father just recently died. My friend took care of his sick mother and father, especially the father who was dependant upon him for everything. My friend also invested quite a bit of money into the home and property over the years. He has 4 sisters who only contributed financially monthly, as so did he for someone to sit with their dad during the day while he was at work. According to the will, the family home was left to all 5 of the children. The 4 sisters want him to buy them out. The will does not specify that the home be sold, it says that the property be equally distributed among the 5 of them. My friend cannot really afford to buy them out at this time. What can he do and are there any laws on his side?

ALawyer

He seems to have only a 1/5 interest under the Will. If he made improvements he may have a claim for loans.

If he wants the house he can buy out the others -- with cash or a mortgage -- or forget it and take his share after the sale.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">