• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cancel Adoption?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

N'Angst

What is the name of your state? FL

But the adoption took place in Ky. I was adopted by my stepfather when I was 6. My biological father is still alive but we do not have a close relationship. I want to annull the adoption. My biological father never signed his rights away and to my knowledge, was not in agreement with the adoption (although, I still don't think he even knows). My mother always encouraged me to use my birth name when keeping in contact with paternal family. To my knowledge, an ad was ran in the city newspapers of areas my bio. father was believed to be in. When he did not come forward to contest it was stamped "abandonment".
My mother never fought for child support and he never fought for custody or visitation, although I was allowed to see him whenever I asked to. Which makes me question how they could view that as abandonment. My paternal grandmother usually knew how to contact my father and when I asked to see him or they knew he would be in town, my stepfather and mother traveled the distance to my grandmothers so I could see him.

I just want my original birth certificate back. But I would like to go about it with minimal contact with either my stepfather or bio. father.:confused:

HomeGuru

N'Angst said:
What is the name of your state? FL

But the adoption took place in Ky. I was adopted by my stepfather when I was 6. My biological father is still alive but we do not have a close relationship. I want to annull the adoption. My biological father never signed his rights away and to my knowledge, was not in agreement with the adoption (although, I still don't think he even knows). My mother always encouraged me to use my birth name when keeping in contact with paternal family. To my knowledge, an ad was ran in the city newspapers of areas my bio. father was believed to be in. When he did not come forward to contest it was stamped "abandonment".
My mother never fought for child support and he never fought for custody or visitation, although I was allowed to see him whenever I asked to. Which makes me question how they could view that as abandonment. My paternal grandmother usually knew how to contact my father and when I asked to see him or they knew he would be in town, my stepfather and mother traveled the distance to my grandmothers so I could see him.

I just want my original birth certificate back. But I would like to go about it with minimal contact with either my stepfather or bio. father.:confused:
**A: you cannot cancel your adoption and I do not understand your reasoning for wanting to do such a thing and also the "minimal contact" issue.

N

N'Angst

I can see how you wouldn't understand the "why's" of the situation. They are primarily emotional reasons.

Is there any way to reinstate the previous birth certificate or is it forever null and void?

C

craftymom

To have your birth certificate as it originally was drawn up, your biological father would have to adopt you back from your step father.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">