• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The Ex's possessions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Ex Is Nuts

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

My girlfriend left her ex over 4 years ago, and divorced him over 3 years ago. In the divorce, she got the house.

She has asked him for the last 3 years, on NUMEROUS occasions, to come and get his car (a 1967 Cougar, in the "restoratoin" phase and is taking up her whole garage), as well as numerous other possessions he has left behind of his which are in the attic, garage, and outbuilding.

After over 3 years of leaving the car there, can she not go ahead and get rid of it? We can't get him to come and get it, so shouldn't we have the right to dispose of it? We have several buyers who are ready to show up ASAP to get it, if we are able to part with it. The biggest question of the situation is tho, the car is titled soley in HIS name, and was his prior to the marriage. I don't think this should matter tho, since he refuses to come and get it... Also, if we DO sell it, how can we go about helping a buyer to get a title for it? (He certainly won't be accomodating and willing to hand over the title... and will be PISSED when he finds out we have disposed of it!)

Obviously his personal stuff that he has left behind and seems to have no interest in getting, we're going to get rid of, throw away, use, or whatever suits. The big question tho is about the car....

Your input is appreciated.... :D

VeronicaGia

IMHO, you have to do everything legally. Notify him in writing, certified mail return receipt requested, that he has 30 days to come get the car. If no you will roll it into the street and contact the police and tell them the car is abandoned.

You cannot sell it as it does not belong to you. If you did, the ex could sue you, and I think you'd have a hard time getting a title for it anyway.

E

Ex Is Nuts

OK, another question then, and BTW... thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

Anyway, I know if you leave an item in a person's possession for an extended amount of time (such as a vehicle), they have the right to charge for "rent" for holding the vehicle for you. So should she request he pay her for storing it there? (This bum refuses to pay child support, so anything we can do to get some money for her kids would help). If I'm not mistaken, OK law allows rent for any vehicle left in your posession for more than 30 days. But I'm uncertain if that law would pertain to this sort of situation????? Any clue?

Thank you again for your generous input.

E

Ex Is Nuts

We have written him a demand to come and get the car within 30 days. Question tho, can she only have it impounded if he refuses to pick it up at that point, or can she sell it legally at that point?

VeronicaGia

In answer to your first post, likely if you were going to charge rent or storage fees, the person storing their stuff would have had to know that going into it. It would be kinda like letting someone stay at your house for free for three years, and then sue them for three years worth of rent.

Secondly, once again, it is not your property to sell. Just like I cannot decide to sell your car and make a profit, you cannot sell this car. But you can force them to get it off your property legally or take steps to have it legally removed. The owner will incur all costs with it being impounded and stored, not you. IMHO you shouldn't have waited this long to begin with, or something should have been in writing that a storage fee would apply. At this point, you just want to get the car off your property without doing anything illegal.

E

Ex Is Nuts

OK, thanks Veronica. I appreciate the info. ;) We'll just send him the demand letter and see what happens. Sure he'll love this...... lol! Poor baby. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">