• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subcontractor failed to file Tax Returns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MichelleBl

What is the name of your state? California

Hello:

A friend of mine, now in his late 20s, worked as a subcontractor for many years. He got paid mostly with company checks which he deposited in his bank account. Now he confessed to me that he never filed a tax return in his whole life, saying he was always afraid that if he started filing all of a sudde, the IRS would ask for back taxes for all the years before. Simple question therefore:
If he started filing now for 2002 (which I strongly suggested), should he at the same time file for previous years and, if so, for how many? I understand that there's no statute of limitations for tax dept but can or will/would the IRS expect him to file for 3, 5, 10, or even more years backward?

Michelle

abezon

He'd better start filing. The IRS will write him if they want to see returns for past years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">