• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who inherits my personal savings?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

numberofb

I would like to know who will inherit or take possession of my personal savings accounts if I die. I do not have a Will or Trust. These along with my car is everything I own at the moment. I'm separated ( not divorce yet ) and live in the state of NY. I wish they go to my brother, who unfortunately do not live in US.
How I can handle this and make sure my brother and not my ex spouse will claim my accounts?

ALawyer

Write a Will and have it properly signed and witnessed. There is a sample on FreeAdvice under Wills and then click legal forms. That's the best. Putting your brother's name on the accounts would also work for the accounts - tell the bank you want what is called a Totten Trust

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">