• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sister is Executrix of My Mom's Will and she wont give me a copy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Teck5a

My mother Died about 2 months ago and I know she has a will. My sister has told me that she is the executrix of the will but refuses to give me a copy. As a potential heir to this will, don't I have a legal right to obtain a copy. We live in New York and my mother owned a home. I already checked with the Probate court to see if it was filed and it has not been. I don't trust my sister and would like to know my legal options. My father is not alive and I have another sister and a brother who are also potential heirs in "the dark". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ALawyer

Go to a NY lawyer and explain the problem. He could bring an action to have you named Administrator as if there was no Will, and then she'd have to bring in the Will. If she has failed to file it on a timely basis you, not she, might be named Executor.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">