• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card debt Divorce said he was responible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

feathers425

What is the name of your state? NY
I have been Divorced since Oct 2002 but recently received a letter from collection agency saying that I would be responsible for debt of Credit Card 10%, even though the card was not in my name but signed for purchases using my name. In the divorce agreement he took responsibility for this I took other credit cards.
Would I be responsible even though the divorce papers say he took that responsiblity.

B

Boxcarbill

feathers425 said:
What is the name of your state? NY
I have been Divorced since Oct 2002 but recently received a letter from collection agency saying that I would be responsible for debt of Credit Card 10%, even though the card was not in my name but signed for purchases using my name. In the divorce agreement he took responsibility for this I took other credit cards.
Would I be responsible even though the divorce papers say he took that responsiblity.
Well, obviously you didn't bother to search the over 320,000 previously posted question to see if your question has been answered. I can assure you that it has because I personally have answered this question at least 3 times in the past 90 days.

F

feathers425

I did look @ them My Lawyer says I'm Not responsible but I just want to make sure without attitude!

B

Boxcarbill

feathers425 said:
I did look @ them My Lawyer says I'm Not responsible but I just want to make sure without attitude!
Well, with attitude--if your lawyer told you this you better get a new lawyer.

Now if you want to know you

(1) hit the underscored link above which says " search over 320,000 posted questions and answers"

(2) Then in the window where it says "Search by keyword" type into the window something like "debt after divorce."

(3) In the window underneath the search by keyword, there will be a window and above it will say "Search forum. . . " Just click on the down error until it reaches "Separation, Divorce, and Annulment. "

(4) Then hit the "perform search" button.

A list of post will appear on the screen which are on the subject of "debt after divorce." Your post will be at the top of the list but a couple of hundred others will appear also.

The following is just one of the many examples:

Re: Well...
mpfups said:
I have been paying the mortgage & all i just think its ridiculous with laws that absolve her from helping out with it...I have filed for divorce & all but like i have said nothing will go down til the 28th of this month...
Well, exactly, what law has absolved her from helping out with it? The court only has jurisdiction over the parties appearing before it. In a divorce action, the parties would be a husband and wife. A mortgagor and the other creditors are not before the court and cannot be ordered to change the terms and conditions of their contract. Therefore, since both you and your wife applied for the loan, contracted with the mortgagor for the loan, you both will remain jointly and severally liable for repayment of the loan and the house will remain as collateral securing payment of the loan--regardless of what the division of the property and debts are in the divorce. Joint and severally liable means that the creditor can look to either or both for repayment of the loan. And it the mortgagor doesn't get paid, it will show up on both of your credit reports. The division of debts in a divorce pertains to you two; it does not bind the creditors in any manner whatsoever. Your cause of action for her failure to pay a debt that she was ordered to pay pursuant to the divorce and that you had to pay to protect your credit rating is against her. And no this doesn't absolve anyone of the debt for which they

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">