• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assets, debt, the house in divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gbirl02

I live in Michigan, married 2 1/2 yrs, no children together. I'm unemployed, full-time student, dependant for past 2 yrs on husbands income. I make no contribution towards mortgages, monthly bills, etc. I don't want to pull my son from his home. But if I can't keep it, is there any way to make husband sell?

Last edited:

G

gbirl02

the house...

VeronicaGia said:
Are both of your names on the title and mortgage? Did he own the house before you were married?
Yes my name is on the house. Not the mortgage though. And no we brough it just before we got married in 2000. We refinanced last year, my names on everything.

E

Ex Is Nuts

gbirl02 said:
But if I can't keep it, is there any way to make husband sell?
Why make him sell it if you can't keep it????????

B

Boxcarbill

gbirl02 said:
I live in Michigan, married 2 1/2 yrs, no children together. I'm unemployed, full-time student, dependant for past 2 yrs on husbands income. I make no contribution towards mortgages, monthly bills, etc. I don't want to pull my son from his home. But if I can't keep it, is there any way to make husband sell?
There isn't any equity in the house since it was recently refinanced last year. If you are unemployed and a full time student, you cannot make payments on the house and since the child is not a child of the marriage, he isn't going to be paying child support or making payments on a house for you and your son to live in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">