• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bitter prop. tax dispute between two municipalities. help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bigal1128

Hello, I am from CT.
I represent a CT. formed L.L.C. we are a large landscape contractor caught in the middle of a dispute between a large city where we were located for 5 years, and a small town experiencing “urban sprawl” where we are currently located. In the city that we moved from and the town that we moved too( neighboring towns) they have a law or regulation that states whatever city or town you are located in on the first day of October that is who you must pay your property tax too. We moved all of our trucks and equipment out of Waterbury, CT., (old location), in September of 2001 and I have the DMV change of address forms (and new Registrations) to prove it. We did not move our telephone number until the end of November because our office was not built yet in Watertown, CT., (new location), so we filed our Declaration of Property Tax (all we have to file is our personal prop., vehicles get done through DMV) with the new town. Of course the DMV screwed up and reported our vehicles to Waterbury even though our address was changed on all of our vehicles two months prior to the first of October. When confronted with this evidence, Waterbury would not release us from their tax rolls because the only evidence of a move that they will accept is from a utility Co. and of course where we moved to electricity was included and you already know about the phones. And at the same time we get a bill from the town that we just moved too. Waterbury will not release us and they told us that if we pay them, (much higher mill rate), we would not have to pay the other towns taxes until 2002.So we pay Waterbury the $18,000.00 and try to get on with business. Now the fun starts. Last month we get a bill from the town we moved too asking us for their 2001 personal property taxes and we start to argue and we show them all of the old city bills that we just paid and the assessor said very snotty that he was not going to release us from the tax rolls and is going to place a lien on our trucks and equipment. Can two towns both tax me for the same equipment and the same trucks in the same tax Year? Any help would be grateful
Sorry about the long post but I am at my wits end with taxes.
Thank you,
Alan

abezon

Hire a tax attorney to help you. You probably need to sue both cities at the same time & let a court decide who you pay taxes to. City assessors are notoriously hard to deal with & you'll end up in court eventually. Get it over with. Also, an active court case may prevent them from putting a lien on your property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">