• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After Brother's Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MareBare56

My Brother died on the 4th of July. He has been disabled and on SS for about 18 years.
He has many bills but no ascets. I took care of his bills and made sure they were paid for the last 4 months but I did not have Legal power to do this. Now that he has passed away I'm not sure what to do next. His funeral has to be paid for plus everything else. How do I proceed from here without hiring a lawyer because there isn't any money and I don't have any either.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

ALawyer

I am sorry about the loss and express my condolences. You may have already done all that you have to.

If he had no valuable assets and no insurance or other benefits or claims, there probably is nothing you have to do. If there are personal items that are meaningful to others ask them if they want any. But his wife and/or children would be his legal beneficiaries, if he had any, and if not his parents, if alive, and if not his brothers and sisters and the children of deceased brothers and sisters. This is NOT legal but practical advice. If he had real estate or accounts then the state has a process that has to be followed carefully.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">