• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

megabit

What is the name of your state? Florida

My sister was married in 1996 in Florida, and in 1998 they seperated and her husband moved to another state never to be heard from again.

In 2000 she bought property and has been living there and paying for it by herself. His name is on her checking account but not her savings account. Now she wishes to get divorced and marry someone else. But she is afraid that her current husband will come out of the "wood work" to lay claim on her assets.

Does he have any right to the property or her bank accounts?

What is the best way to approach this to minimize risk of loss?

Thank you.

E

Ex Is Nuts

I can't speak for your particular state, but here in OK, once a couple seperates, all debts and assets aquired from that point on are considered each parties' own liabilities. Therefore, in your case, if you were in OK, it would not matter that you are still married to him. Everything, including your home, that you have bought since the date of seperation is yours, and he has no claim to it. Check with an attorney and see if this is true for your state as well. I am betting that it probably is.

E

Ex Is Nuts

I agree! Anything that has HIS name on it needs to be disposed of IMMEDIATELY!!!! Close all accounts and anything else that has his name on it and open new ones. DO that before you even consider divorce. Elsewise, he may try to use it to say you weren't really seperated.........

M

megabit

Where can I look up this law for Florida? Or do I have to pay a lawyer to tell me if this is a valid Florida law?

M

megabit

I've been looking online and I have not found anything yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">