• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladyinwaiting

I am the step-mother of 5 grown and successful married adults. My husband and I have been married 17 years and are very happy together. Lately, I have been asked questions about the inheritance and what they get. We are still very healthy and he plans on living another 50 years. I thought I had a great relationship with the faimly and I'm wondering now what is going on. We both have a will and my husband felt his kids a well off and make more than us and left everything with my name on it and did not mentioned his kids. Though there are things other than cash and my home to give them. My question is how do I protect myself in the event of his death.. not to go though the turmoil and fighting? I'm tired of hearing about "our" inheritance. $$ And that it's legally theirs.

ALawyer

This is something that you and he should discuss -- and then probably speak with a lawyer about to get adice from someone who sees this all the time and can share the rationale and create a bullet-proof estate plan.

I understand the situation as my first spouse died and I am sure my kids may feel they are entitled to everything rather than my current spouse.

First, yours is a long term (17 year)marriage. That is a bit different from the 90 year old marrying the 30.year old and living 6 months. (You've heard the old joke, how can you marry someone that much younger, have you thought of the possibility of a heart attack? "If she dies, she dies...")

Second there are probably personal items that came from the first marriage that might be best given to or left in a Will to the kids. They should at least be mentioned in his Will.

Third if there is an estate tak issue, laving propertry to you in trust that goes to them on your death -- and not to your next spouse -- makes sense and protects all of you.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">