• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trustee gift serve as fee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

buckhorn

My father's major beneficiary was a close friend that is also serving as trustee. In addition to the gifts to this person (with her name specified), he added a gift to the trustee (by title) but did not specify a trustee fee. My guess is, being a tax consultant, he saw the advantage of her being taxed only at 6% (the tax rate of the heirs). A friend has advised her to take a fee in addition to the "gift". She's not sure an additonal fee would be within the "spirit" of the Trust, as she thinks this extra gift was intended to be the compensation for her effort. What would your suggestion to her be? Thankyou for your time.

ALawyer

Unles the estate is subject to federal estate taxes, at 37% plus, wich is higher than most people's marginal tax rates, if she felt the extra gift was to be in lieu of fees, my guess is she would not take them -- most people do what they think is the right thing.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">