• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce and cridit cards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lucky0022

What is the name of your state? ohio

My son is getting a divorce. His wife moved out into another home. He has credit cards that is in his name only. She has cards in her name too. As soon as she moved out she went and purchased about 3000.00 dollars on the cards that is in his name only. She would of purchased more but they got wise to the purchases she made . My son wants to know what he can do because she did not have his permission to use his cards.
He want to know if he there is charges he put on her for doing this. He told her she could take what ever she wanted in the house. he said just leave me a bed and tv. she took the bed and tv anyway.She helped her self to his card too . He was at work.
Can you help in this matter.

Thank you
Lucky0022: confused:

E

Ex Is Nuts

Did she buy all of the crap online, ,or in stores???? Assuming your boy's name is "Bubba", I highly doubt she looks like a "Bubba" (Or a John, Harry, Tim, Frank, etc). Stores are SUPPOSED to check ID's! Seems like there would be some liable there.

Next, if they have seperated, then they are living as two seperate individuals, not as one couple, so I would think there would be some grounds for fraud there.... but I really don't know for sure.

I think if I were him, I'd call all of the credit card co's and have them issue me new cards with new #'s just for good luck.

Beyond that, they will have to go to court at some point if they get divorced, and he should be able to leverage the $3,000 she spent at that time (another words, lets say he ends up owing her $5,000 for whatever reason, he should then be able to use the $3,000 and knock the $5,000 he would owe her down to $2,000). He needs to get good hard DOCUMENTED evidence that it was HER that bought these things on his CC's, and NOT him!!!!!! Make sure he does that.

Also, call your local police dept and see what they have to say about it. I doubt they will do anything since they are husband and wife, but never hurts to try........ ;)

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">