• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gfrankel

What is the name of your state? CA
Area violation occured: Beverly Hills

Hi!

I came about this forum by chance and I am glad I did. Thanks you guys out there for taking the time to help people in need.

I would like to paste a letter I wrote to the City of Beverly Hills.

City of Beverly Hills

March 2, 2003

Re: Citation xxxxxxx

To whom it may concern,

On Feb 19, 2003 I had a doctor’s appointment for my daughter. Since the doctor’s office is on a very busy street (Robertson) whenever we visit the doctor, we park a block away on Arnaz Dr.

That Wednesday was no different. Only, when I returned to my car, to my great surprise, there was a ticket on the dashboard. I opened the envelope, read the citation and rubbed my eyes in disbelief.

“That’s impossible,” I said to myself. Unfortunately, I’ve been a frequent visitor to this block in the last 2 months, due to recurring illnesses of my infant daughter, never did I see a parking by permit sign.

I proceeded to check the block and was amazed to find the following. The whole block had one type of sign, except for the last 3 houses which had another. The entire block was LA and therefore had one sign, while the last 3 houses were BH and hence a different sign.

We came to Los Angeles from Canada a half year ago. Permit Parking was a foreign concept that we were finally getting used to. We are always careful to read, and double check, where we park, so as not to be in any violation.

Arnaz Dr. was a street we were familiar with, having parked up and down the street many times. It just never occurred to us that a city could begin 3 houses from the end of a block, and that would change everything.

Taking in consideration the above, I ask that you please consider canceling this citation. We have yet to settle down financially in LA. I have been unemployed for a half a year already. $38.00 is a very harsh punishment for an understandable confusion in a first time situation.

Thank you,
The response I received from them was that

after careful review we have determined that the citation is valid.

Signs were clearly visible from where your vehicle was parked.
But that's missing the point of my argument. I saw the sign. I don't dispute that it was there. I just didn't expect it to be any different than all the multiple signs I had just read and passed on the same block. After all, how many people would expect a city to begin 3 houses (yes, you can go count) before the end of the block. Come on, that isn't normal!

Any ideas to fight this. I would really hate to pay this fine.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

JETX

"Any ideas to fight this. I would really hate to pay this fine."
*** I agree. You parked where you weren't supposed to. It was clearly signed (as you admit). No defense. Pay the fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">