• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paing back a debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sar47

i am one of 9 children. when my father died in 1993, i was the only one of 9 who was not holding down a job. since my mother did not drive and had poor health, i was the one who was at her beck and call 7 days a week. 5 of us kids borrowed money from our father. he had no will stating these debts. upon his death, my mother had a will drawn up which said all monies and assets were to be divided equally between all 9 kids. knowing that i owed my debt, i wanted to get a job and give my mother my paychecks. the other 8 wanted me free to run my mother to doctor appt., to the store, do yardwork, etc. my mother complained that i was not repaying my debt, so i told her over and over that i would get a job and give her every check. she said she wanted my debt paid, but wasn't worried about repayment by the others. this was the only time i had borrowed from my father. finally my mother and the other kids agreed that we would deduct $400 a month from my debt for every month i took care of my mother. when my mother died, the debt was not paid full. now, my brothers and sisters want the full amount borrowed. one brother who owed 3 times what i did is to pay back the same amount i owe. 3 others are told they have to repay nothing. to keep peace in a family where brothers and sisters have never argued, i have repaid. if i hadn't, would they have been able to force payment?

I

illinoisestateplan.com

Maybe, maybe not - depending on the eveidence whether it was forgiven by their words or actions. In addition, many states (including IL) have a caregiver law that gives family members that take care of disabled family members a claim against that person's estate if they took care of them for a certain period of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">