• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

attached taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

canarysue

What is the name of your state? Iowa
I was recently married and moved to Iowa still owing $750.00 in Georgia state taxes under my previous name. This year my husband and I filed our federal taxes electronically through H & R and were supposed to receive a refund of $4500.00 with which we would have paid those back taxes, but the refund has been attached. We were really needing the money for bankruptcy proceedings but can't find out how long the government will attach our refund. Is there anyway to find this information or to facilitate the return of our refund?

Carrie

B

brotherhelp

Tax Information website

Canarysue:

Go to www.irs.gov

You will need your social security #, approx date that you filed, refund amt, etc.

When you type it in, it tells you the status of your return and when its scheduled to be mailed to you.

S

SAPCPA

Are you sure that the amount attached is not for federal income tax owed? I don't think they attach you for money owed to the state.

C

canarysue

Unfortunately, I know exactly which taxes were unpaid. I was single and owed for my Georgia state taxes. Also, these specific taxes were mentioned in the letter explaining why I did not receive a refund. I have tried to find out the status of my tax refund but now it will not let me do so.
Thank you to those who have taken the time to answer my post. I hope someone has a suggestion now, because I just don't know what else to try.

C

canarysue

tax return

Thank you to all who replied to my post and offered helpful suggestions. We received our tax return in it's entirety. I hope everyone has a good experience with the IRS too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">