• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

probate problem?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smith1745

My mother (I'm an only child) died in May, 1998, in Kentucky. Her lawyer was named to be executor. She had some money in CDs and mutual funds that were jointly in her name and mine that I was able to secure on my own. She had basically two other properties, a house and a small amount of stock, that would have to be handled through probate as well as some of the "nitty gritty" of finalizing some of her affairs. Nothing major. I feel that the 2 years plus is an excessive amount of time to be waiting for the settlement of the estate.

I have written to the lawyer twice since January of 2000 asking for information about what remains to be done in settling the estate and a probable time for completion. I have receive no answer. Am I able to make a complaint to the judge of the probate court in charge, to the local bar association, or some state agency about this attorney? If not, what course of action do I have available to me other than perhaps hiring an attorney and incurring additional expenses?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">