• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help Fast

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bkgerber

What is the name of your state? Indiana I worked for a lumber yard as a secretary. Originally I was just part time and then the lady who worked there quit. I became full time secretary. I handled accounts payable and accounts receivable. I also sent the employee payroll hours to the accounting firm that handled all of that and the taxes. They would make out the payroll checks and the tax papers for the business. My boss would then sign the checks and the tax checks and I would mail them out. Consequently after working there and the business very rapidly going down hill I left my position due to mismanagement on the part of the owner. I also left with the business owing me money. When I would receive the tax forms from the accounting firm I gave them to the owner and he would write checks and pay them. Well almost the whole last year he did not pay taxes on any of us employees. Now the IRS is contacting me because he and his parents are saying that I did not pay them and that I should be responsible for them! Why would I be responsible for a businesses taxes. The owner kept all of that in his drawer and told me not to pay them because he needed his money for other things. I guess my question is can they hold me responsible for his business taxes? I almost thought that I was not going to be able to get my refund back because of it but they told me that the employees were not responsible for his taxes. So consequently I did get my refund. I have not worked for this company for over 3 years ago. I have a meeting with this tax man on Thursday please help?:confused:

abezon

He's trying to make you the chief financial officer & say that not paying taxes was your idea. Just tell the IRS that you were a secretary with no ability to sign checks & that you gave him the payroll returns & checks made out to the IRS, but he refused to pay them & kept them in his desk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">