• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused on gifts over $250

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dfv

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I'm a little confused. I understand the following where cash is concerned:

"In figuring whether your contribution is $250 or more, do not combine separate contributions."

As I understand it, if each individual contribution, even if to the same entity, is less than $250, then you do not have to complete form 8283.

My question is for non-cash gifts. Is each individual item, regardless if we're talking 1,000 items all on the same day to the same entity, consired an individual contribution? Or is the individual contribution the giving of however many items to one entity on one day? Does that make sense? I donated a LOT of items to Goodwill last year. Total value prob $2,000, but no one item worth more than $250. So I'm wondering if I can just put the total on the Schedule A, and keep my record/receipt filed at home, or if I need to fill out form 8283.

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:

S

SAPCPA

file the 8283, and list all items together, as long as they were all to the same charity, otherwise, separate the 8283 for the various charities ( not the various items). i.e, you can list $2,500 of "furniture, clothing and household items" to one charlty, and then do the same for another charity

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">