• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pro-se Divorce settlement agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jesp

What is the name of your state? Florida.

I am representing myself in my divorce case not by choice but because I lost my job and have no funds to get a lawyer. In Forida you cannot get legal assistance pro-bono unless your divorce involves children.

I recently signed an agreement under extreme duress that I did not fully understand. The General Master has ruled that the agreement was valid. He argued that when a person chooses to represent themselves, the Court assumes you understand legal terminology. I had no choice but to represent myself. I do not understand legal terminology. Now I am in trouble. Do I have any recourse to overturn this agreement?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You're probably screwed. While you may have had no choice in having to represent yourself, you did have a choice whether or not to take a crash course in law at the library or on-line. Until I filed for divorce, I had never had any legal interaction at all. Since filing - I have spent countless hours online gathering info. All of the information and resources are out there, if there is no other choice.

J

jesp

Could you please provide me with info on additional sites I can visit to learn more about representing yourself?
I have no knowledge whatsoever about court procedures and what is or is not admissable in arguing a case.

C

cyana

You might try the main website for the FL court system to educate yourself on procedures:

http://www.flcourts.org/

branching off of this site is the link to the Florida Family Court system:

http://www.flcourts.org/osca/divisions/family/bin/index.html

Remember to drop the tags if you cut and paste these sites into your browser. The second site is very comprehensive with a lot of forms and "opinions" that you can download; whether or not there is a form for an appeal of the decision is up to you to find. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">