• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1099's

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lizzied2003

What is the name of your state? RHODE ISLAND>

hello, i am employed full time as a nurse practitioner and recieve a salary. over the past year i also made 'extra' money from my institution by 'moonlighting' and picking up extra shifts. I was paid a straight fee and received a separate check without any taxes withheld. i received a 1099 miscellaneous and was going to list this under my own business income. however, in fact i do not have a business and was wondering if i could list it as a special circumstance. Tubo tax has this category thought they note it is infrequent that one receives a salary and also an additonal consultant fee. Please advice. If i list business my refund is about 500 bucks less than if i list this special circumstance. also, right now they include extra shifts in my check and taxes are now withheld so my institution must have figured out they were doing something wrong. thanks so much.

S

SAPCPA

I hate to tell you, but you really need to list this income as a schedule C - which means you need to pick up the self- employment tax. however, if you have any expenses you can write off against this income, you should.

abezon

You can put the income on Sch C and take expenses, or you can report it on a form 49-something Tax on Tips. You cross out Tips & write in Wages. This way you only have to pay your 1/2 of the taxes. You can also ask the IRS to determine whether you were an employee or independent contractor (duh! employee!) by filing a SS-8, I think.

L

lizzied2003

thanks so much. i will try to track down that form. will probably do an amended as i just filed this am.

abezon

Sorry it took me so long to reply. It's tax crunch time & I'm working WAY too many hours a day.......

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">