• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

linmolina

My father deceased in Texas and had a home in his name and my mother's name (they were still married and no will). There is a remaining balance of 4.000.00 on the home. His oldest son from his first marriage wants to fight for my mother's home. Is it 50% my mother's and the remaining 50% is split equally amongst the remaining children? Will she have to get an attorney to fight for her share of the home?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by linmolina:
My father deceased in Texas and had a home in his name and my mother's name (they were still married and no will). There is a remaining balance of 4.000.00 on the home. His oldest son from his first marriage wants to fight for my mother's home. Is it 50% my mother's and the remaining 50% is split equally amongst the remaining children? Will she have to get an attorney to fight for her share of the home?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would depend on how title to the property was held. If title was held via Tenants by the Entirety, then your Mom gets the house 100%. If title was held via Tenants in Common, then your Mom owns 50% and the other 50% would be split up among the heirs in accordance with Texas estate laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">