• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

want it final

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PeanutandI

What is the name of your state? California
I currently have an active Pro-se Dissolution with Children pending. I have filed my Income & Expense Declaration, Declaration under uniform Child Custody Jursidiction Act and Summons & Proof of Service of dissolution w/children.

The Pitition (filed in Jan 2000) indicates division of property, etc. by Marital Settlement Agreement, which was signed and notorized in Oct 2002. My spouse is not contesting and has not filed anything with the court and I do not know his whereabouts or how to contact him.

What do I need to do, file, etc. to get this finished and finalized? Is filing the Settlement Agreement and Motion for Judgement enough? Please help, I just want this over with.

M

MaggieK

Ok...I am confused. How did you get a settlement agreement with your spouse if you do not know where he is? How do you know he would not contest? Maybe I am reading all this wrong but is sounds as though you have not had contact with him in regard to a divorce.

P

PeanutandI

In Sept 1999 he walked out on our 1 year old son and I - I came home from work and he was gone - which prompted the filing in Jan 2000, which he was served by personal service. I know this was really dumb, but while drafting the settlement agreement he said he'd changed and really wanted to be a family, etc. Long and short, he walked out on us 2 more times. The last time the agreement was finalized and signed but we agreed to wait 3 months before doing anything with it. This was the only thing I did right, a month later he was gone again, this time taking every cent we had, leaving me with no gas to get to work, no milk, bread, nothing! I know he's in Arizona but I don't know his address, phone number or if/where he's working. I've double checked with the clerk of the court (California) and the case is still active. As much as I love him and wanted to make it work I can't keep doing this. I just want it finished so our son (now 5 yrs old) and I can get off this rollercoaster. At one point during all this he even filed a case in Arizona and had me served. That case was dismissed for "non-action" (nothing else was filed within 90 days).
I have all the forms I'm just not sure which ones I still have to file. For instance do I still need to do a Final Income & Expense Declaration, etc.?

M

MaggieK

"I've double checked with the clerk of the court (California) and the case is still active."

Your petition for divorce was filed in 2000 and is still on active status? That's three years of no activity. Circumstances have surely changed in your life since that initial filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">