• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance - Non-probate Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

concerned2000

My father passed away in May and I'm the executor of the estate. I've hired a lawyer to handle the estate (Ohio). I understand the fees on the probate assets, but they tell me they get a certain percentage of the non-probate assets. If I'm the only beneficiary of the life insurance policy and have decided that all this money will be used to pay most of the outstanding debt, why would the attorney get a percentage of that money if it is under my control? In addition, there is another very small life insurance policy and a retirement lump sum payment - payable to me as well. Since these all fall outside of probate, they (the lawyers) shouldn't have "rights" to get percentages of these accounts??? Please advise.

W

Whaleman72

It most liklely depends on the Retainer Agreement that you signed with the attorney for the estate. What does the Retainer Agreement say?

You could always get the Court involved, but check the retainer agreementand try to work a reasonable solution out concerning the legal fees.

Good luck.

E

ELNbluemax2

What a shame!!! I knew it was Ohio...I heard that there's only 4 counties in Ohio that the lawyers can charge those fees on non-probate assets. I just fired 2 lawyers, because I wasn't aware of that before. Got a new attorney, who wants nothing more than an hourly rate for work actually done for me.
They ARE out there...get a new one!!!!
Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">