• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mothers neglect

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jbelton

What is the name of your state? Florida
I have a seven year old nephew who lives with my alchoholic parents and his 32year old mother. His mother works at night in a bar, comes home in the morning than sleeps all day and than goes back to the bar. There is no quality time spent with my nephew. I myself have been seriously thinking about having his mother, my sister sign over her rights to me. I know for a fact I would be able to provide for him in a stable familier home. She has offered me custody before and I've never persued it. Now the situation is just getting worse more and more everyday. He's even failed the second grade due to no homework turned in. Any information on self preperation to legal forms, free downloads, anything to be able to get custody would be greatly appreciated. I should have no problem getting her to sign. P.S. The Biological father has never been involved, so no worries there.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You're still going to need the biofather to consent - and more often than not this sort of situation makes them sit up and say no. Just be aware.

When there are kids involved, I hate to see people go the "do it yourself" route as the smallest error can invalidate the whole thing. At the *very* least, have a consultation with an attorney (many consults are free or low cost).

nextwife

I agree with momma_tiger. This is too critical to accidentally leave anything undone. The biomom CANNOT consent to the termination of the father's rights, so that must be handled as well. I wish you the best -sounds like this child needs you.

D

dorenephilpot

Actually, you don't need bio dad's consent (if he's not in the picture, doesn't see or support the kiddo) if you try to locate him and fail and run a legal notice and get no response.

I agree that you need to get an attorney on board.

Shop around. Rates vary wildly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">