• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Previous marriages... or is my wife a bigamist?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

happy divorce

What is the name of your state?

My state is California & Washington state. I am planning to move to Washington from California. (which one is best for the legal proceedings?)

My main question:
I believe my (soon to be) ex-wife has been married before and just "left" the guy without a divorce. I believe one marriage took place in Northern California, and the other marriage in Nevada. (yeap, married twice)

I need to know how to track the marriages/divorces down. I do not have the "married" names (I heard them once or twice but never recorded the fact). I do have the birth name and after each of the marriages ended she reverted to using the birth name.

How do I check this out? I would *LOVE* to avoid a divorce hassle, and if my theory checks out (90% says 'yes') then I can just annul or just throw up my hands and say "**** it" and leave.
We own no community property together whatsoever and no children (the marriage lasted - on paper - six months although physically we never really lived together as man and wife for any period beyond a couple of weeks at a time, total time served about 2 months - I qualify for EARLY PAROLE from this marriage (yeap, its a sentence - my offense - capital stupidity in the first degree). Please help!

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Getting an annulment can be harder/longer than getting a divorce. Also the time/money you spend tracking the "proof" down will add up. CA's a no fault state - just file for divorce and be done with it.

H

happy divorce

My rational for wanting annulment instead of divorce is that she will -never- have any recourse or redress with me... forever.
But in divorce the **** can always hit the fan months or years ahead.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If you don't have kids, it's really pretty straightforward and there shouldn't be any hassles from her in the future. But suit yourself.

H

happy divorce

I just don't want to be stuck with any virginamony (alimony). She is nuts enough to try to figure something out inspite of being married for only a few months. I am thinking that she might try to get a lawyer to chase that. (is it possible?). I am in the entertainment industry so they may try to see me as 'deep pockets'. (nope, the story hasn't hit the National Enquirer)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The chances of her getting alimony are so close to nil I wouldn't even worry about it. It's no longer that easy to get, and a marriage of a few months - fuggedaboutit.

H

happy divorce

California has a nightmare document/remedy called:
Temporary Order for Support

Such order is granted on an ex-parte basis and is activated instantly even before the first hearing of anything.

Yeap. Gotta love California. :mad:

I found a handwritten note from her saying about this type of order. This is the major major reason I want the annulment if available.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">