• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

INTEREST AFTER DEATH

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

BELLEW

MY QUESTION IS CAN CREDIT CARD COMPANIES KEEP
CHARGING INTEREST AND LATE FEES AFTER A PERSON HAS DIED UNTIL THE ESTATE FUNDS ARE RELEASED TO PAY THE DEBTS. THERE WAS NO WILL, THERE IS NO PROBATE, NO COURT APPOINTED EXECUTOR, MY SISTER IS TRYING TO HANDLE THE AFFAIRS. MOTHER DIED IN CALIFORNIA. PLEASE HELP SO WE KNOW TO PAY THE FEES ARE JUST THE ORIGINAL DEBT AT THE TIME OF HER DEATH.

A

Attorney_Replogle

Here is my opinion, for what it is worth. I hope it helps!

The debt owing to the credit card is personal to your mother. So the credit card company can't be charging you forever and ever. Right?

However, that debt is part of what is called your mother's estate at the time of her death. The estate includes all (no matter how small or large, inexpensive or costly) assets and debts. So this credit card debt is just one of her debts. See?

I have been told that some credit card companies will cancel the debt owing, if it is not large, once they are informed that the card holder has died. So, you should write to them (don't call, write) and let them know when she died. It would also be best if you include a copy of her death certificate. Ask them to cancel the debt since she didn't own much, et cetera. Right? You can finish the rest.

An excellent book (for about $35) called How To Probate An Estate In California can be bought online from Nolo Press. They are the nation's largest publisher of legal books for the non-lawyer. It is very easy to read and understand.

Their web site is at www.nolo.com.

For any other questions or assistance, just post again or email me.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">