• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on First-Time charge of possession of paraphenalia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jennifers7

Question on First-Time charge of drug (marajuana) possession of paraphenalia

INDIANA

My son rececently turned 18 and about a month after his birthday he was stopped on a speeding ticket that was just a warning.
While the officer had him stopped and was about finished with the warning when another state police officer pulled up and waked up to the other side of the vehicle where his friend was sitting and smelled marajuana. The officer asked my son if he could search his vehicle and my son complied; where the officer found 2 roaches in the ashtray, and a pipe with residue on it. The officer asked him if it was pot, and he said yes and was not given a drug test at the time. He was instructed to tear up the roaches and break the glass pipe.
The officer instructed him he could give him a infraction or a misdemeanor. He ticketed him, then a month later charged him with recklessly possessing paraphenalia.

Should I be worried about the outcome and get a lawyer (we are not able to afford a lawyer really, due to me just breaking my foot and my son still in school), or will it eventually be a probation and fine for first-time offenders.

Please reply as soon as possible as the next trial is soon!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

Last edited:

HomeGuru

jennifers7 said:
INDIANA

My son rececently turned 18 and about a month after his birthday he was stopped on a speeding ticket that was just a warning.
While the officer had him stopped and was about finished with the warning when another state police officer pulled up and waked up to the other side of the vehicle where his friend was sitting and smelled marajuana. The officer asked my son if he could search his vehicle and my son complied; where the officer found 2 roaches in the ashtray, and a pipe with residue on it. The officer asked him if it was pot, and he said yes and was not given a drug test at the time. He was instructed to tear up the roaches and break the glass pipe.
The officer instructed him he could give him a infraction or a misdemeanor. He ticketed him, then a month later charged him with recklessly possessing paraphenalia.

Should I be worried about the outcome and get a lawyer (we are not able to afford a lawyer really, due to me just breaking my foot and my son still in school), or will it eventually be a probation and fine for first-time offenders.

Please reply as soon as possible as the next trial is soon!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:
**A: can you quote the exact statute regarding this reckless possession charge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">