• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

credit card debts interest after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Janiceb

My mother passed away this year and the money in her bank account have not been released to pay my mothers creadit card debts can they legally keep adding on interest and late fees since her date of death? Please help the debts are increasing daily. State where my mother died is California.

ALawyer

Check to see if perhaps she had LIFE INSURANCE built into the credit card plan in which case the bill would be paid in full!

ALso, explain the circumstances to the credit card company. ANd do you have a lawyer helping handle her estate?

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

J

janiceb

No attorney, no insurnace on the credit cards, My mother did not have a will, there is no probate.
my sister is handling the estate. But until the bank releases her the funds we just wanted to know if they can legally keep adding on the interest and late fees. They
have been notified of her death.

A

Attorney_Replogle

I am not sure if you previously posted this question under the name of Bellew. If so, I just answered that query. I will give the same answer (substantially) here though.

The credit card company will continue to add the interest and penalties until they are notified in writing of their card holder (your mother) having died. So send them a cover letter along with a copy of her death certificate.

Ask them to cancel the debt (if the bill is not large) because she had so little in assets, etc. I have been told that some credit card companies will do that.

An excellent book on how to handle this stuff yourself is called How To Probate An Estate In California. It is from Nolo Press. They are the nation's largest publisher of legal books for non-lawyers. It is easy to read and understand.

You can get it for about $35. Their web site is www.nolo.comp. OK?

I hope this helps!

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">