• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance by Adopted Son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NCPBW

My husband's mother's will states simply that all her assets are to be left to her three sons equally. If my husband dies before his mother would his share go to my son whom he has adopted. We live in North Carolina.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NCPBW:
My husband's mother's will states simply that all her assets are to be left to her three sons equally. If my husband dies before his mother would his share go to my son whom he has adopted. We live in North Carolina.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on how the will was written. Most wills have a clause that states that if the beneficiary does not survive the writer, then the assets go to the heirs of the beneficiary in an order stated in the will or in accordance with State Probate directive. Some wills may state that if one or more beneficiaries are not livng, the assets go to the remaining individual(s).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">