• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kimmy_3

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have been married for 19 years and have been seperated for two and a half years. 1) I want to get a divorce but my husband will not agree to one. I can not afford an attorney because my husband never paid the last attorney bill that the judge ordered him to pay which leaves me without an attorney now. (I already gave the attorney 3,000.00 dollars and nothing was resolved and she said the money was spent on her talking to his attorney on the phone). 2) I forgot to tell you that I have a protective order against my husband. 3) The courthouse says that I can not represent myself or try to file any showcauses or up child support without a lawyer. I guess before to long we will live out on the street because I am not allowed to fight for my rights because I don't have the money to pay for a lawyer, and I will not go to legal aid because the lawyer told me to leave my house so I could get the protective order in a different county and she never told me that once I leave I can't get my house back. ( which left me homeless) If anyone can help me enough where I can get my records transfered to another county, please let me know. Can I get a divorce from a spouse that does not want it and can I do it on your own?

M

MaggieK

You have many issues at hand here. Who at the courthouse told you you had to have an attorney? Even if you commit murder you can represent yourself! Yes, you can divorce him without his "permission". I would like to try to help you but you would have to provide me with an email address.

K

kimmy_3

Maggie K,
The court clerk told me I could not do anything without a lawyer unless I had that knowledge of a lawyer. My e-mail address is
Thank you so very much:D

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cyana

Kimmie

Unfortunately what the clerk told you is often the case for many folks who try to represent themselves. What I suggest you do is educate yourself thoroughly on Family Court Procedure. If there's a VA general family court website, start there. And you can hire a paralegal service like Maggie offers if you find you just can't understand the Family Court procedures yourself.

Good luck.

M

MaggieK

Your email address has been blocked by the moderator of this board because they fear I am attempting to solicite business from you since I own a paralegal company. Actually, I post on many boards and do not receive clients from any of them. Virginia is my home state, state of my birth and I have a close connection for that reason. Also, communications with you would have been easier, for you, through email rather than public posting. That was my intent, however suspicious it may have appeared to the moderator. I try to be helpful on these boards to provide posters with not legal advice, but my 25 years of personal knowledge of the court systems of the country. This is a free board. I encourage people to take advantage of "free" anytime they can get it and I find the moderators accusal insulting. If I sent all posters info on how to contact my company, I would have no time to serve my local paying customers. Best of luck.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

MaggieK said:

" . . . and I find the moderators accusal insulting."

=======================================

My response:

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Then, I would suggest, so that you don't feel "insulted", that you stop offering that people contact you directly, and keep everything here on the forums where it starts.

Also, you might wish to consider taking your business Internet address out of your profile so that it would be impossible for anyone to contact you directly at your business site. That way, there won't even be a "specter" of you attempting to solicit business from these forums.

IAAL

K

kimmy_3

Thank you Cyana,
I will try to do a search for Va general family court and gooble up as much information as I can. I have already spent so much money on attorneys that if I try to hire another one I will not be able to take care of my kids due to me only working pt. because I have Crohn's disease and just returned from medical leave.
Thanks again,
Kim

M

MaggieK

How pathetic that you have to make a choice between an attorney or the welfare of your children. Says something for the legal profession for sure. Clerks of court do not have the authority to advise you that you have to be represented by a licensed attorney to file any matter with the court. I know of a county where they were doing that and were found to be sending pro se litigants to specific attorneys who were of course compensating the clerks for their "good deed". This is not the job of the deputy clerks. Do study your states divorce law. There are many wonderful sites online. It costs you nothing to call a paralegal service in your area and ask about their fee to assist you with the documents. I know it would be a fraction of an attorneys fees. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">